KEEP YOUR IDENTITY SAFE
Identity theft can happen to anyone at any time, but there are steps you can take to protect yourself:
- Dispose of sensitive documents securely. Be aware of anything that lists your address, account numbers, date of birth or Social Security number.
- Keep all passwords secret and change them regularly.
- Check your accounts regularly to ensure all the transactions are legitimate.
- If someone calls you claiming to be with a financial institution or utility company, don’t provide your full account number. Some legitimate organizations may ask for you to confirm the last four digits of your Social Security number, but they shouldn’t ask you to provide your full number or account information.
- Be aware of email phishing scams. Be suspicious of any email with urgent requests for personal information, including account numbers, login credentials, and Social Security numbers, unless the email was digitally signed. Also don't click links in emails if you suspect the message might not be authentic; instead type the URL directly into your browser or call the company to verify.
- Always ensure you're using a secure website when submitting sensitive information, including credit card numbers. To ensure you're using a secure web server and website, check for "https" at the beginning of the web address.
If you do suspect identity theft, be sure to report it to Verity Credit Union and any other financial institutions you have accounts with. This includes deposit accounts, loans and credit cards.
If you have been the victim of financial fraud or identity theft, you can place a fraud alert on your credit report. To do so, call one of the following credit bureaus:
- Equifax: (800) 525-6285
- Experian: (888) 397-3742
- TransUnion: (800) 680-7289
Placing a fraud alert on your credit report is free and remains active for 90 days. After that period, the alert can be renewed.
How to report identity theft to the Federal Trade Commission:
Use the FTC's online Complaint Assistant or call (877) 438-4338
How to report a lost, stolen or missing passport:
How to report misuse of your social security number:
Visit or call (800) 772-1213
How to report income tax fraud:
Visit irs.gov/individuals/identity-protection or call (800) 908-4490